Tuesday, September 27, 2011
About The Recipe ContestCalifornia’s nearly 3,000 raisin growers are hosting an easy-to-enter recipe contest called: “Give Kids Their Day in the Sun.” Through October 5, healthy snack recipes can be uploaded to California Raisin’s Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/CaliforniaRaisins for a chance to win a premium playground structure (valued up to $10,000), a year’s supply of California Raisins, plus a $1,000 donation in the winner’s name to the food bank of their choice.
Five finalists will each win a $100 gift card and will be selected based on the creative use of California Raisins (25%); healthfulness (25%); ease-of-preparation (25%); and taste (25%). Finalists will be announced October 19, 2011 and then it will be up to the California Raisin Facebook fans to determine the grand prize winner. A full set of contest rules can be found at www.LoveYourRaisins.com/give-kids-their-day-in-the-sun-recipe-contest/.
California Raisin IndustryNearly 100% of all raisins produced in the United States are grown in the sun-filled valley surrounding Fresno, California, known as the San Joaquin Valley. This area is home to the more than 3,000 hard-working growers of California Raisins. These delicious fruits are enjoyed from coast to coast and are also shipped around the world.
California Raisins: Key Messages
- Just 1/4 cup of California Raisins counts as a serving of fruit for adults and is a tasty way to help meet recommended daily fruit servings.
- California Raisins are fat- and cholesterol-free, naturally low in sodium, deliver dietary fiber and potassium, and are packed with antioxidants.
- Raisins are a classic sweet treat that is a wise choice for snacking or as a delicious and healthful recipe ingredient.
Fun Facts about California Raisins
- Perfectly Portable. California Raisins are always perfectly ripe and require no refrigeration, which makes them great for active on-the-go lifestyles!
- Healthy Smiles. Research shows that raisins contain compounds that may inhibit the growth of certain bacteria associated with cavities and gum disease.
- Nature’s Candy. Children love California Raisins! Raisins are great to include in kids’ lunches or for a naturally sweet after-school snack.
- Fuel Up! Convenient and nutritious, a trail mix with California Raisins and nuts is smart fuel before exercise. Raisin research with 10- to 12-year-old soccer players showed that a pre-game raisin and nut snack provided a more sustained, steady source of energy than a bagel and lemonade snack.
I will receive a California Raisins swag bag (including packs of raisins, sunglasses, beach ball, plush toy and a $25 gift card). The opinions expressed are my own and were NOT influenced in any way.