Thursday, December 22, 2011
Do you love your snacks and are you always looking for a more nutritious snacks? I have an awesome snack to tell you about, it Somersaults! These natural snacks are so delicious, I was quite shocked on how good they tasted. For this review I received one 6 oz bag of Santa Fe Salsa, Pacific Sea Salt, Dutch Cocoa, Cinnamon Crunch, Salty Pepper and four of the .50 oz bags of these delicious snacks! I would highly recommend them!
About the Somersaults SnacksSomersaults are the creation of a handful of Bay Area natural foodies, who, disenchanted by unsatisfying snacks, wanted a nourishing, tasty and nutritionally impactful option for active adults just like them.
What they discovered on their quest was a surprise: that seeds are the new nut, offering the perfect balance of protein, fiber and balanced nutrition with an excellent crunch and delightful flavor, yet with less calories and fat. They loved the nut‐free nutrition of seeds so much they nominated the sunflower seed as their own personal nutritional superhero, choosing it to be the #1 ingredient in every Somersault they bake.
Simplicity is key. The philosophy behind Somersaults is based on the idea that the best foods are made from simple ingredients like seeds and toasted grains. Each of the five Somersault flavors are made with all‐natural, pure ingredients of the highest quality so you can feel good about sharing Somersaults with the whole family.
The Power of SeedsSunflower Seed Facts & Nutritional Highlights
- The #1 ingredient in Somersault Snacks, sunflower seeds are a nutritionally dense food, power packed with antioxidants, protein, fiber, Vitamin E, minerals and healthy fats.
- Somersaults Snacks are a nutritionally balanced, tasty and easy way to enjoy the benefits of sunflower seeds.
- The sunflower seeds in Somersault Snacks provide impactful, nut‐free nutrition. These nutritional superheroes supply:
- 50% more protein than many popular nuts including almonds, cashews, walnuts & pecans
- Six times more vitamin E than peanuts
- Seven times more folate than almonds, cashews and pecans
- More fiber than an apple, and a comparable amount to a serving of bran flake cereal
- Sunflower seeds are the best whole‐food source of vitamin E, a nutrient that may slow the effects of aging, boosts the immune system and prevents cardiovascular disease.
- Whole Foods Market’s ANDI score, or Aggregate Nutrient Density Index, rates sunflower seeds as #1 in the category of nuts and seeds with a score of 78! ANDI is a scale measuring the amount of nutrients a certain food is packing per calorie. That means their sunflower seed packed snacks offers one of the best nutritional bangs for your calorie buck.
- A nutritionally dense whole food, sunflower seeds are packed with four times more antioxidants than blueberries, walnuts, and peanuts, boosting the immune system and lowering blood pressure and bad cholesterol.
- Approximately 90 percent of the fat in sunflower seeds is polyunsaturated and monounsaturated, the healthiest types of fat for the heart. The fat comes from two ingredients: sunflower seeds (fats) and expeller pressed high oleic sunflower oil (monounsaturated fat). Sunflower seeds are also naturally free of harmful trans‐fats which raise “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and lower “good” cholesterol (HDL).
- Sunflower seeds have as much potassium as almonds, offering about 200mg of potassium per 1 oz. serving, playing an important role in decreasing blood pressure and establishing proper nerve function and muscle control.
- Sunflower seeds offer 17% of the recommended daily allowance of folate in a 1 oz. serving. This essential nutrient is necessary for the production and maintenance of new cells and is especially important during pregnancy.
Somersaults are currently offered in the following five flavors:
- NEW! Cinnamon Crunch, the Surfer, combines warm cinnamon with a light dust of sweetness, creating the perfect crunchy snack to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Pacific Sea Salt, the Sailor, brings to life the toasted perfection of a sunflower seed with the subtle hint of sesame rounded out with savory sea salts.
- Dutch Cocoa, the French Baker, blends rich cocoa, vanilla bean, toasted grains and sunflower seeds into the perfect sweet treat. Not too salty, not too sweet, but just right.
- Salty Pepper, the Pirate, mixes cracked ground pepper with a savory mix of garlic, onion and a touch of jalapeno giving this toasted creation the perfect zing.
- Santa Fe Salsa, the Cowboy, combines carefully selected savory spices with a kick of jalapeno and chili pepper to create the ultimate Southwest snack.
Comparison: Compared to other snacks, Somersaults have:
- As much protein but just half the fat of a serving of almonds with fewer calories
- A good source of fiber and Vitamin E
- 1/3 the carbs of an energy bar
- 95% less sugar than an energy bar
A product sample was received for review. I was not paid in any form of cash for this posting. The opinions expressed are my own and were NOT influenced in any way.