Tuesday, August 13, 2013
A product sample was received for review. I was not paid in any form of cash for this posting. The opinions expressed are my own and were NOT influenced in any way.
People seem to be dieting all the time and they're always looking for products to help them lose the weight. So, you'll find the weight loss powder drinks, pre-mixed drinks, teas, chews, pills and other weight loss products. I have tried a lot of them. I'm a big believer in supplements, other health food and drinks products, but I question the products that promise you, to lose weight. My main concern, would be the ingredients in each of these products. What kind of products have you tried?
For this review I received the Weight-Loss Bulu Box. The box contained six products.
- Gu Energy Strawberry Chomps
- Eat Green Tea
- TwinLab Power Fuel
- Shapeology Burn Blend
Gu Energy Strawberry Chomps
GU Chomps deliver the premium ingredients and performance benefits you've come to expect from GU Energy products:
- Amino acids for added focus, rippin' energy and speedy recovery.
- Vitamin C + E, those mighty antioxidants that combat tissue breakdown.
- Sodium and potassium to restore electrolyte balance.
- Exclusive blend of complex and simple carbohydrates.
The chews reminds me of a strawberry gummy bears. I have never heard of tapioca syrup, but it is considered to be a healthy sweetener. All the other ingredients are good, except for the Maltodextrin. There's a good chance that the maltodextrin in the product, is derived from Monsanto's GM corn.
Tapioca Syrup, Cane Sugar, Maltodextrin, Pectin, Citric Acid, GU Amino Blend (Leucine, Valine, Histidine, Isoleucine), GU Antioxidant Blend [Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Vitamin E (DL-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate)], Potassium Citrate, Sodium Citrate, Colors Added (black carrot juice concentrate), Natural Flavor, white tea caffeine, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Carnauba Wax.
- 20mg of caffeine per serving.
The PowerIce Orange Blast taste like an orange juice popsicle. I wish companies would stop using Sucrose, it's not healthy. Again we have another product that has Maltodextrin, which may not be safe. Then, there's Sodium Chloride, which is table salt. Salt has the preservative characteristic of being a natural antibiotic. On a food item, it kills living bacteria and therefore impedes the decay process of that food. Salt causes excessive thirst because it pulls water from the bloodstream. These present the two most damaging effects on the digestive system. I see another unhealthy ingredient, sodium benzoate is a preservative that promotes cancer and kills healthy cells. Okay, there is natural flavors, but what is it? The company considers this product to be Gluten Free and Kosher.
Water, Sugar (Sucrose), Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Mono Potassium Phosphate, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Natural Flavors, Natural Colors (Beta Carotene).
Eat Green Tea - Edible Green Tea Whole Leaves
This product is awesome and I would highly recommend it! It tastes like green tea, but add it to your smoothie or your food and you won't really taste it. It's the purest Green Tea leaves available anywhere on the planet. There's 10,000% more EGCG (a
powerful antioxidant) in whole green tea leaves than there is brewed green tea. That’s 100 times more antioxidants than brewed tea, found in just 1 tablespoon of the Eat Green Tea - edible green tea leaves. Don’t throw away the powerful nutrients in green tea – EAT THE WHOLE LEAF!
The Eat Green Tea, tends to give me a lot more energy! I had to go and check out the reviews on Amazon.com, for the Eat Green Tea and all 47 people gave it a perfect five stars. Since everybody gave it that high of a rating, it must be an A+ product. It also comes in a powder form.
TwinLab Power Fuel
This product is blue in color and has Blue #1 Dye in it, which was researched and caused kidney tumors in mice. Why would anybody want to drink this? It taste like perfume, with medicine in it.
I have researched each ingredient and here is what I found:
- Use caution when consuming amino acids, there are many side effects if you consume too much.
- Isomaltulose is manufactured, by combining bacteria and sucrose until it ferments making a syrup similar to honey. Isomaltulose is absorbed by the small intestine just like glucose (sugar) and fructose. It produces low-glycemic and low-insulinemic results. Isomaltulose is not suitable for people with an intolerance to fructose or sucrose.
- Disodium phosphate can cause irritation to your respiratory tract. Dicalcium Phosphate is found as a common mineral supplement in many breakfast cereals and enriched flours, thereby adding to the potential for calcium overdose.
- They list Thiamin Mononitrate as an ingredient, but is it suppose to be Thiamine Mononitrate, which is the synthetic form of vitamin B1 and it does have side effect.
- Cyanocobalamin is a cheap, synthetic chemical made in a laboratory. It's virtually impossible for you to find this form in nature. Low-end vitamin manufacturers use it because it can be bought in bulk and added to products with claims that they "contain vitamin B-12!" What they don't tell you is that the vitamin is bound to a toxic, poisonous cyanide molecule that must then be removed from your body by your liver. Cyanocobalamin is also up to 100 times cheaper than the higher quality methylcobalamin, which is the only type of B-12 you should consume.
- They list artificial flavors, so what is it and why is it a secret?
- Another product that has Sucralose, which is not safe.
- Acesulfame Potassium contains methylene chloride, a known carcinogen.
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride is a synthetic, which is a chemical forms of vitamins, not real vitamins from foods or plants. Nutritionally, they are near-useless and may actually be bad for you.
Formula Intensity Generator - 4200 mg
L-Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate, Arginine Hydrochloride, Taurine, Beta-Alanine, Glyceryl Monostearate, Caffeine, Citrulline Malate, L-Histidine
Strength and Power Activator - 1525 mg
Di-Creatine Malate, Creatine Anhydrous, Creatine Ethyl Ester, Creatine Alpha Ketoglutarate, Creatine Pyruvate, Glutamine Peptide (from wheat)
Sustained Energy Matrix - 5000mg
Maltodextrin, Isomaltulose, Waxy Maize, Glucose
Fuel Management System - 3104 mg
Disodium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Potassium Glycerophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cinnulin PF Cinnamon Bark Extract, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Cyanocobalamin
Natural & Artificial Flavors, Malic Acid, Disodium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Bicarbonate, Silica, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Glycerophosphate, Magnesium Glycerophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Mononitrate, Blue 1, Folic Acid, Cyanocobalamin
This product is a pain relieving creme. Methylparaben, Propylparaben and Dimethicone are parabens and can be found in creams and lotions. Sodium lauryl sulfate has been identified as one of the primary skin irritants that are used in body care products today. It has the ability to easily penetrate the dermal layers and enter the blood stream. The caustic lathering agent easily destroys the lipid layers that keep the skin smooth and supple.
Methyl Salicylate 15%
Carbomer 934, Dimethicone, Glycerine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Trolamine, Water.
Shapeology Burn Blend
This product is suppose to mimic the effects of high metabolism to help you lose weight fast. Evodiamine can cause a diuretic effect on the body which is not safe for some dieters. Many of the ingredients in the DefineLevel Formula section is used for sexual pleasure stimulates, which I find funny being in a diet pill. Soy Lecithin could be GM origin, when not certified organic. Red #3 dye was recognized in 1990 by the FDA as a thyroid carcinogen in animals and is banned in cosmetics and externally applied drugs.
Burn Blend Ingredients:
Metabolin 150 Formula:
Green Tea Extract (90% Polyphenols, 75% Catechins, and 45% EGCG), Whitel Tea Extract (50% Polyphenols), Evodia Rutaecarpa Extract (as Tetradium Ruticarpum) (Fruit) (Standardized for 10% Evodiamine), Inositol Hexaphosphate, Black Pepper Extract (as Piper Nigrum l.) (Fruit) (Standardized for 95% Piperine)
White Willow Extract (as Salix Alba) (Bark) (Standardized for 25% Salicin), Aspidosperma Quebracho-Blanco Extract (Standardized for 0.3% Alkaloids), DMAE (Deanol Acetamidobenzoate Hydrogen Tartrate), Inula Racemosa Extract (Root) (Standardized for 2% Alantolactone), Troxerutin (as Sophora Japonica) (Standardized for 97% Trihydroxyethyirutoside), Cnidum Monnieri Extract (Seed) (Standardized for 20% Osthole), Yohimbe Extract (2% Yohimbine)
CaffeinX (Caffeine Anhydrous), Xanthinol Nicotinate, Codonopsis Pilosula Extract (Root)
Medium Chain Triglycerides, Gelatin, Soy Lecithin, Glycerol Monosterate, FD&C Red #3, Paprika Extract, Soy Mixed Tocopherols
About Bulu BoxBulu Box is the first health, nutrition and weight loss discovery box designed to help you feel your best. Each month, you’ll get a custom box filled with a new mix of 4 to 5 premium samples from top brands to try. Every sample is sufficient enough to decide if the product is right for you. Of course, shipping is always free and you can cancel anytime. Share your thoughts about each product in their sample surveys and you can earn 50+ Rewards Points (that's $5!) each month! Use your points to purchase your new favorites in full size at BuluBox.com! Here you’ll also get expert tips, tricks and a supportive community of Bulugans just like you! Join the discovery and find a healthier you!
Bulu Box has great intentions, but I would like them to look a little more closely at the ingredients of the samples they send out. As a consumer I prefer to buy only products that are organic and natural. The only product I would recommend is the Eat Green Tea!