Saturday, June 28, 2014
#CyberTribe to the Rescue!
Kids all over the world are taught at an early age about computer technology, but what about #CyberSafety? Have you heard about the #CyberTribe yet? There are many things you can do to try and protect your children on social networks. June is Internet Safety Awareness Month! The Boys & Girls Clubs of America have a partnership with Sprint, they did this to assemble a CyberTribe of teens to help answer your questions on #CyberBullying, mobile device safety, online privacy and personal data sharing on social networks! Go take a look at the #CyberSafe website and ask the #CyberTribe questions on how to keep your children CyberSafe!
In the news, you hear so much about Cyber Bullying and how it has affected many teens. So, we as parents need to talk to our children about Cyber Safety to keep them safe from Cyber Bullying or predators. If you're not sure where to start, the BGCA has developed a set of printable discussion cards to help you and your children learn about Cyber Safety!
Here's what the Cyber Bullying Statistics are on the discussion card:
- 58% of youth admit someone has said mean or hurtful things to them online! More than four out of 10 say it has happened more than once!
- 58% of youth have not told their parents or an adult about something mean or hurtful that happened to them online!
- 53% of youth admit having said something mean or hurtful to another person online! More than one in three has done it more than once.
- 42% of youth have been bullied while online!
- 35% of youth have been threatened online!
- 21% of youth have received mean or threatening e-mail or messages!
Looking at those statistics, it looks pretty sad and scary! Teens are very emotional and this type of bullying can cause emotional problems. So, I encourage you to check out the Boys & Girls Club of America on CyberSaftey!
Be sure to take the quiz on “Are You A Cyber Smart Parent ?” You may learn a thing or two. If you have questions, ask the CyberTribe! These expert teens are there to answer your questions! By submitting a question you have the chance to win an iPad mini and $500 to the Boys & Girls Club of your choice!
To submit your questions to the CyberTribe:
- Visit the BGCA CyberSafe site
- Visit the "Ask the CyberTribe" tab
- Click “Ask now”
- Write in your question, fill out your information (First Name, Last initial, City, and State)
- Click “Submit”
- After hitting submit you will be given the chance to enter the CyberSafe Futures Giveaway, which is optional.