Easy scone recipe for healthy families
When Scottish poet Gavin Douglas first mentioned the scone in his poem The Aenaid, little did he know the humble scone would become a worldwide icon. That was back in 1513. Although scones are thought to have originated from the British Isles, they are popular everywhere, from Dubai to New York. Wherever you go around the world, you’re sure to find cafes and restaurants that serve scones. Scones are not just simply delicious but they are easy to make.
These days, you can get all sorts of scones, such as soda scones, wholemeal scones, potato scones, and pumpkin scones. Pumpkin scones are my favorite type scone. Actually, scone recipes have many similarities with the ancient Welsh griddles, which are small round yeast cakes cooked on stones.
Baking scones on a rainy afternoon and snuggling up in front of the fire with a cup of tea is a fabulous thing to do with your kids. If you’ve ever traveled with your kids you’d know how difficult it can be to get them to eat different kinds of foods so getting them used to eating scones as well as teaching them basic etiquette on how to eat a scone will make things so much easier for you when you’re traveling.
Here is a quick and easy scone recipe to make healthy scones at home:
Easy Scone Recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
225g self-raising flour
½ tsp of baking powder
2 tbs of light butter
½ cup of skinny milk
1 tsp of Natvia (or another type of natural sweetener)
- Add the flour and butter into a bowl and knead the mix with your fingers to make a breadcrumb mixture.
- Add salt and the natural sweetener.
- Beat the egg and milk.
- Add the mixture into the flour mixture a bit at a time.
- Use your fingers to knead the dough so that it’s soft but not sticky.
- Lay out the dough on a surface sprinkled with flour and pat the dough so that it is flat (2cm thick).
- Cut the dough so that it is round and place it on a lined baking tray.
- Cook in a preheated 200-degree oven for 15 minutes or until it’s golden.
- Try crushed strawberries and low-fat yogurt as a topping.